Tips For Alleviating Your Hay Fever And Grass Allergy Symptoms


If you are allergic to spring and summer grasses and vegetation, then it is said you suffer from "hay fever." Hay fever is actually an allergy to the pollens produced by grasses, weeds, and trees. The main symptoms of hay fever allergies are a runny nose and itchy, watery eyes and they can be a real annoyance. Thankfully, by following a combination of the tips below, you can greatly reduce or even eliminate the annoying symptoms of your hay fever:

Tip: Take an Over-the-Counter Antihistamine Medication

The reason your eyes are itchng and your nose is running from your hay fever is because of a histamine reaction in your body. The absolute best way to control the histamine is by taking an over-the-counter antihistamine medication. If you cannot handle the drowsiness that comes from taking an antihistamine such as Benadryl, then you will be pleased to learn there are many other options at your local pharmacy you can try. You will likely need to try a few different medications until you find the one that works the best for your symptoms and that does not make you drowsy.

Tip: Keep Your Home's Window's Closed

While you may be tempted to open all of your home's windows during the nice spring and fall weather, this is not a good idea for hay fever sufferers. Opening up the windows invites pollen into your home and will make your allergy symptoms worse.

Tip: Don't Line Dry Your Clothing or Linens

When you live with hay fever, you need to dry your linens and clothing in a clothes dryer and not outdoors. If you line dry your items outdoors, then the wind will cause pollen spores to accumulate on them. When you bring the fabric items indoors, they will bring the pollen in with them.

Tip: Avoid Spending Time Outdoors on Windy Days

Since the harder the wind is blowing then the bigger the pollen counts will be, you should avoid spending time outdoors during windy days if at all possible. You will notice worsened hay fever symptoms when the wind is blowing around a lot of pollen.

Tip: Enlist the Help of an Allergy or ENT Specialist

Finally, if you have seen your doctor and they haven't been able to control your severe hay fever symptoms, then you should ask for a referral to either an ENT specialist or allergy doctor. These types of physicians are specially trained to assist with sinus and allergy issues.


17 July 2017

Learning About ENT Specialists

Hello, my name is Marissa Johnson. Welcome to my website about visiting ear, nose and throat, or ENT, specialists for infections and allergies. When I was a young kid, I developed ear infections every month or more. The infections were extremely painful and did not respond to traditional treatment methods. My parents and I worked closely with an ENT specialist to end the ear infections for good. On this site, I will explore the methods ENT doctors use to treat infections and allergies. You are welcome to visit my site on a regular basis to learn more. Thank you for coming by.